Monday, January 3, 2011

This time I remembered

For the second consecutive day my wife and I went to the gym to exercise. Of course, we went to Pizza Hut first.

But in my convoluted quest to cut 100,000 calories from my life that's OK because I traditionally have pizza once a week for dinner (and once for lunch as leftovers) anyway, so that's not out of line. While some of my competitors in our Coaches' Challenge (will explain in another column) are bragging about how little they are eating, I am not going there yet. I simply want to add in exercise and remove a few unnecessary sweets and treats (another blog topic idea).

As it turns out a lot of women in great shape also work out where we work out. They always seem to jump on the tread mill directly to my left. When they start running fast in their long strides it can make my pace look rather loathsome. That's OK. They are trying to get in shape, while I'm simply cutting calories. That's why college football and basketball players don't work out together. They have different goals. In fact, it can be dangerous.

When I was a young a basketball player from my hometown played basketball for Cincinnati. After his freshman season he spent some time working out with a football player. He collapsed and nearly died as the workout was not right for his body. That guy is now a doctor, and I'll bet a damn good one, so I'm sure he knew what he was doing. But it just wasn't right.

These long-strided runners to my left may be me someday, although I doubt it. But for now a briskly paced walk is fine with me.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did draw enough inspiration from these runners to my left to run for a few one-minute stretches. I have to admit it felt good. I've only been a runner two other times in my life (another blog topic idea). Now is not the time for me to run. I'm still finding my stride.

CALORIES BURNED IN TODAY'S WORKOUT: 477 (yes I remembered to look this time). ADDENDUM: I "guesstimated" yesterday's calories burned at 500 (see column to see why I "guesstimated"). I want to change that to 420 calories as my guess. I definitely went harder today and only burned 477.

TOTAL CALORIES REMOVED:
897

3 comments:

  1. GO RILEY! I'm proud of you man!
    jz :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome and amazing and I love everything about this blog--and your other blog, and most probably your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops. That last post from Dan is actually from Liz Keeling. I didn't realize I was logged in as Dan. (I should have known since I am on his Mac...)

    ReplyDelete