Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hello, my name's Titanic

Nine teachers -- myself and eight others -- who work at the local high school are challenging each other to get fit. The main component of  that challenge is weight loss, although we're doing it on the honor system and using personal weight loss goals instead of generic goals.

We just finished week two. (Imagine that, a weight-loss challenge starting the Monday after New Year's Eve. I know. Cliche.)

Week one, five of us combined to lose 17.3 pounds (not everyone reports ... imagine that, not everyone reporting in a weight-loss challenge). One gained 3.4 pounds, but he's the skinniest man I've ever seen in a weight-loss challenge, so he just have been bloated. I didn't count him.

Week two, the big three shedders from week one -- 5.7, 4.2 and 4 pounds -- lost 1.2, 0 and 0. Maybe it's the natural give and take of a body, but my guess is we lost a bit of focus after our week one feel-good moments.

Some sources, such as Blue Zones, tell you to weigh yourself every day. Others, such Weight Watchers, tell you only weigh once per week. I tend to get excited and want to weigh often, but thankfully I've been too busy to do that. Either way, I was one of the zeros, the non-losers, this week.

Then came Sunday and I was ready to go to the gym. Turned on the TV while I had a bite to eat about 3:30. Gym's open until 5. Plenty of time. I'll leave by 4 and get a 45-minute treadmill walk in. Then I see what's on: Titanic. Before I know it I'm into this cheese ball movie, which is on one channel or another almost daily. 3:45, 4, 4:15. I didn't get to the gym twice on Saturday like I had planned. In fact, I didn't get to the gym once on Saturday. The disappointment was building. My health kick, like the Titanic, was sinking.

Finally at 4:17 I decide I have to work out. I get a half hour work out in and burn 253 calories. Not many, but better than none. If not for Titanic (excuse of the day) I could have burned double that ... and now I have proof.

Last night I went back to the gym and worked out for one hour. Actually 59 minutes and 59 seconds. I burned 573 calories.

I arrived home in time to see the end of Titanic, but decided not to watch it. The ending is so sad, and I no longer wanted Titanic to represent me.

Not as a reference to my bloated size.

Not as a reference for its sinkableness (yes, I am an English teacher, but making up words is so fun)

Not as a reference to the movie's sad ending.

TOTAL CALORIES PARTED WITH: 12,464

No comments:

Post a Comment