Friday, January 7, 2011

Small victories

Last evening, after finishing my fish sandwich and fries from McDonald's I claimed a small victory, small being the operative word. It was made especially diminutive in the face of having just housed a McDonald's meal.

One of many selves is that of Site Manager for the high school boys basketball team. A site manager is like a rental Activities Director. I do the jobs of meeting and taking care of the game referees, the table workers, meeting the teams and getting them into their locker, etc. Basically, all the behind-the-scenes details. Well, one of the behind-the-scenes details is setting up the concession stand and training in that night's volunteer workers. Usually, as per routine, I would start the night by buying myself a candy bar. Generally, that would lead to a piece of pizza later in the night and often a hot dog, just because they smelled so good every time I stopped by to check on things.

And that was always after my dinner, which, admittedly, was never salad and often something fatty. Essentially, on the dozen nights a winter I worked the basketball games I was generally consuming two dinners, both calorie heavy.

Last night was the first basketball game since I started the 100,000 calories challenge, and I avoided the pizza and the hot dogs. Admittedly, as the night ended there was leftover popcorn, heavily buttered and salted, and I ate a bag of that.

So my victories are not mammoth, but minute. Yet victories they are.

UPDATE: My last workout was Tuesday night. I burned 394 calories. TOTAL CALORIES REMOVED: 1,291 (through work outs only). I plan to add in the calories removed via eating habit changes in my next blog about Little Debbie Zebra Cakes (yum). I want one now. … And again now.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Riles. You've removed nearly 1300 calories in just 9 days! Keep it up.
    I love little victories. It makes me feel so triumphant when I can turn down a slice of cake & scoop of ice cream (which I did last night) or eat a small, fairly-balanced lunch at least 2 days in a row. Self high five.
    JZ

    ReplyDelete