Thursday, March 10, 2011

In the presence of weight loss greatness, and I came up empty (or rather overly full)

A week ago I boarded a bus for the Twin Cities to cheer on the high school wrestling team at the state tournament. In the town I reside, wrestling is king. The team owns 20-some conference titles and either wins the section or finishes runner-up every year. This year the team continually improved and out-did most people's expectations.

They practice a couple times per week before school, then practice again after school. There's no doubt wrestling is one of the most strenuous sports available to high school teens. It takes the ultimate in dedication and a lot of watching one's weight.

So there I sat last Thursday, watching a room full of dedicated athletes from all over the state, plowing through stale pizza and overcooked mini-donuts and various others. I spent $20 on nothing tasty. Nothing. And I wasn't satisfied. In fact, I was the opposite of satisfied ... which now that I think of it would simply be unsatisfied. (I originally thought there was going to be another, more creative word. Shucks.)

It felt like the ultimate irony. I was being so undisciplined in the company of all these disciplined people.

No excuses. Just disappointment. I'm still hovering around 10 pounds weight loss, but that day's poor eating choices have seemed to follow me since like a shadow. Since then I have eaten pizza nearly every day. Not going to lose weight that way. Since then I have only worked out once. Since then I've not been proud of my choices.

But that's partially why I have this blog, to hold me accountable. I'll pretend for this moment that I have 100,000 readers watching me flail. It's believable, to me, but so is my dream of finding a healthier me.

On two tread mill workouts I burned 991 calories, putting the 2011 missing calories report at 62,522.

No comments:

Post a Comment